Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A good day...



The week of New Year's was a rough one for me. I don’t know if I was run down, my body gave out because I was finally able to slow down after all the crap I was dealing with in 2012 or if I picked it up a the gym…but the flu knocked me out cold! I started feeling a bit off after a 5 mile run on the treadmill on Saturday the 29th of December and then it was all downhill from there. The next 6 days I averaged 16-18 hours a day sleeping only to wake up to eat, take medicine (it was the flu so there was lots of Nyquil involved as I had to “fight” through it) and shower. Sad that one of the few full weeks I took off from work had me dog sick and not able to enjoy the time off. Friday rolled around and I finally started to feel human. Saturday morning came and I was dying to get back to training. Opting for a slow, progressive build to my way back…instead of jumping in with both feet and running the risk of getting sick again (or as I call it, the normal way I do things)…I started with abs and yoga for the first few days with Monday the 7th of January to be my first “training” of 2013. I honestly don't know if it was the Saucony Kinvaras, the FRS Energy drink I’m trying, my comfy lululemon shorts, the Zensah sleeves, glancing down at the pace on my Polar RC3GPS or the week layoff being sick...but that first run felt good! That 5.36 mile run was on a 7:20, 7:18, 7:17, 7:32 (I figured I could slow down a bit, it was my first run back after all) and 7:23 min/mile pace respectively. Not bad for an 8 day layoff from running. Sure I’m a little bit sore today but sore in a good way. Now...I can get serious about training and getting ready for a 20 plus race season (including 2 half Ironman events)!

No comments:

Post a Comment