Wednesday, January 1, 2014

"Run in" the new year

Why "ring in" the new year when you can "run in" the new year?! Too often people just sit around, do next to nothing and drink to celebrate the beginning of the new year. In my opinion, that time should be a time of remembrance of the past year as it comes to an end. The high...and low points. Learning from them and making a fresh start moving ahead. For me, no better way to start a new year than to "run off" the last: the flu to start the year, missed races, heat exhaustion/heat stroke at Syracuse 70.3, overtraining/required recovery, the terrible crash in the bike at Timberman 70.3, the trying to salvage my season afterward, my dad's death and my divorce.  Rather than see those as devastating, I see them as hurdles I overcame and proof that I can get through anything life has to throw at me. I have often relied on Nietzsche's quote "That which does not kill me makes me stronger". I want to take my "strength" into the new year. Here's to a fantastic 2014...may it be EPIC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment