Monday, September 9, 2013

Clear your mind of can't...

I really appreciate all the "I can't believe you finished, great job!" kudos I've been getting since 70.3 Timberman (I got similar kudos after the 70.3 Syracuse debacle)...but to be honest, there was no other option. I don't say that to be flippant. I really believe it.

As I said in my Timberman race recap, "I'm not the fastest triathlete, nor a shredded with a 14 pack one either but what I am is the kind that can put his head down, focus on a goal and drag myself to it". That can only happen if you decide that words like "quit" and "can't" are NOT an option. Its not some magic skill I possess. I decided long ago that not doing well or coming in dead last is acceptable...quitting or giving up is not. I've always said there are only two ways to finish a race...crossing the finish line or being taken off in a stretcher. We're taught to deal with whatever life throws us at work, or with our family and friends. We can't just check out when things get tough. Why should a hard training session or race be any different? Or better yet vice versa?! If you can drag yourself through a tough workout or get to the finish in spite of a terrible day...why can't you also handle anything that gets thrown at you in day to day life?! I have always lived by Nietzsche's "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger". Just remember that you're not dying today...BE STRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment