Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Triathlete life...

Ah, the life of the triathlete...

What most people don't understand is that we rarely do any type of training "spontaneously". I just love it when a friend goes "well I think I'm going to do a spin class at 7am tomorrow, why wont you ever come along?". Um, probably because I have a real ride scheduled on the day or a long run or long swim that you have NO interest in because its over the one hour of exercise you allot yourself each day.

We live by our planned out schedules that dictate our training as we ramp up for an upcoming race. Yes, there is a little wiggle room but if there's a 70.3 or 140.6 on the horizon...forget it! So what normally happens (iat least what happens for me) is that I pack my truck up on Sunday night (now Monday since I'm a lucky government employee who has to not work one day a week, and not get paid, because of the furlough. I hope you can hear the sarcasm when I say "lucky". I need my job and it's full pay. How else am I supposed to support my training and racing lifestyle?!) with all my gear for the week and have a "rolling support car" for all my training. That way if its a nice day at work I can get in that run or ride before heading home. Or, maybe I can squeeze in a swim at the YMCA near work instead of the one past my house...or if I feel like throwing in a Bikram Yoga class for recovery I have no excuses because clothes for the practice and after are already packed. Really, that's what it boils down to...setting yourself up for training with no excuses. How can I not get my training in if everything I need is at my fingertips?! So, the truck is packed, another week of training lies ahead and a race is on the horizon...ah, the life of the triathlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment